A HISTORY OF SOUTH LAKE
South Lake Schools began over one hundred years ago as a one-room school in what was known as Lake and Erin Townships. By 1897, parents residing in the vicinity of what we now know as Mack and Nine Mile Roads desired a school building and district of their own. In order to meet the needs and desires of its community, one acre of land on Nine Mile Road was purchased and construction plans set in motion. Once completed, South Lake Schools opened its doors in 1898 and began educating our students to Learn Today, Lead Tomorrow.
SOUTH LAKE SCHOOLS TODAY
South Lake Schools continues its mission of providing K-12 students real education opportunities for the real world and now serves the communities of St. Clair Shores, Eastpointe, and the Village of Grosse Pointe Shores, a Michigan City. The District is currently comprised of five school buildings:
- Koepsell Early Childhood Center - Prekindergarten
- Avalon Elementary School - Grades Kindergarten through 2nd
- Elmwood Elementary School - Grades 3rd through 5th
- South Lake Middle School - Grades 6th through 8th
- South Lake High School - Grades 9th through 12th
WHY SOUTH LAKE?
- Student Achievement – Our commitment to academic excellence is cornerstone to our district. Through demonstrated merit and academic results, our students are driven to succeed.
- Smaller District – Our students benefit from personalized, supportive relationships. Small class sizes allow teachers to become engaged with each student and present the material on a personal level.
- Personalized Learning – Our experienced teachers lead dynamic classes that are responsive to the individualized needs of each student. Teachers employ multiple teaching styles to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the material.